Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Be the hero...

It can be easy to get into a routine. I used to call it, "Wash the kids, wash the clothes, wash the dishes... wash the kids, wash the clothes..." Feels like it goes on forever, doesn't it?

Those routines are useful, helpful, but can be uninspired too. Our kids need more from us than clean clothes and dishes, they need our time and attention. They need to know they are a highlight in our lives.

Years ago, when my husband was in college, I was working full-time and our older kids were in school or daycare, I was in that routine. Focused on doing what I had to do. I was really tired one Saturday, my husband was studying at the campus, and my son wanted to fly his kite.

I told him I was really tired and going to lay down, but he could go out and play with it in the backyard. Minutes later I was laying in bed, but I looked out the large window and there he was. Throwing the kite in the air with all the effort his 8 year old arms could muster, then trying to dash forward and pull the kite into the air. Of course it wasn't working. Again and again the kite thrashed wildly and plunged to the ground.

Grief tore at me, and that small voice we sometimes hear whispered, "What would it cost you to go out there and play with him? Come on, be the hero."

We had a great time. Although we never did get the kite to fly, we had a time of laughter, growing closer, and he got a message that he was valued.

What would it cost you to play dolls, color a picture, or run in the sprinkler with your kids? Decide to be the hero.

1 comment:

  1. A good reminder, Cathy. We can't forget to do what is REALLY important!

    ReplyDelete