Thursday, April 30, 2009

Growing curious learners with Sonlight's Science programs!

The levels from K through 6 Science have been newly revised and updated. I love the changes they've made!

There are new, optional "Do-Together" activities that reinforce the concepts being studied. In the Sonlight Science 2, for example:

Do you constantly fight with your children about washing their hands? Reinforce what they learned today about germs with this simple activity that will help teach them the importance of washing their hands with warm water and soap. Put a small amount of hand lotion on their hands and ask them to rub it in. When they’re done, sprinkle some glitter onto their hands (a bucket will come in very handy to prevent a mess!). Explain that the glitter represents germs that get on their hands all throughout the day. When their hands are sufficiently “germy,” give them a dry paper towel to use to clean their hands. Not very effective, is it? Next, let them run cold water over their hands. Still germy? You bet! Now have them wash their hands with warm water and soap (over the bucket!) until all the “germs” are gone. Do they understand why it’s so important to wash their hands regularly with warm water and soap?

This activity particularly hit home for me as a retired RN (the operating room was my favorite specialty area). I have stressed the value of handwashing for my children, but this is a much better, visually dynamic demonstration than anything I did!

The Student Activity Sheets contain questions for your student to answer on the topics covered during the week, and full answer keys for you.

Like many Montanans, we live a distance from town. I love having a note each week on not only the Science supplies I might need for this week, like an apple, but also next week, say, a box of gelatin. I can put those on my list, and not find myself setting up for the experiment only to have to call it off until after our next trip to town.

Check out the Science Instructor's Guide samples on the website!
Instructor's Guide samples

No comments:

Post a Comment