Monday, July 27, 2009

Is Sonlight hands-on?

"Won't my active child be bored?"

I've heard those questions a lot. Early in my homeschooling experience I tried a "hands-on approach", thinking my active children would prefer that. What I found was that I would spend an hour (and money on supplies) preparing, and my children would spend 15 minutes learning.

That's a balance that's out of balance! What I've found with Sonlight's literature-based approach is that the kids tend to become interested in things and want to follow up. Since it is their choice, rather than mine, they are motivated and creative as they build, make and do. My part is simple, "Yes, you can use that", "the scissors are in the drawer".

Pleasant surprises have included the time they decided to memorize and perform a humorous poem. They used an old desk and curtains to make a stage, then designed a printed program and illustrations for the performance on the computer. We videotaped the performance and mailed it, along with a program, to grandparents.

A friend's daughter designed dozens of dresses after they enjoyed one book. Another enlisted friends and siblings and they taped an impromptu scene from a Shakespeare play.

My active kids (like the one who just hiked 2.5 miles before starting school for today!), have done very well with Sonlight. They love the openness of following up on their interests, rather than a hands-on "schedule" that predetermines what is supposed to interest them.

So, is Sonlight hands-on? Well, not so much for you, but for your kids... It stimulates interests, and motivates them to pursue their curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment