Monday, July 6, 2009

Thinking ahead...

Several years ago I heard about Nanowrimo... National Novel Writing Month. The adult level challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. There is also a student site, the Young Writer's Program, in which the teacher sets the word goal for each individual student.

After reading about this, I decided to offer my high schoolers the option to participate in the National Novel Writing Month, or do the regular Sonlight writing assignments for the month of November. I also offered the choice of participating as an adult, with the 50,000 word goal, or I would help them determine a goal for the Young Writer's Program. Either way, I promised that I wouldn't read any part of it that they didn't want me to, but it had to be typed to be loaded onto the website for an official word count.

They both, to my surprise, chose to do the 50,000 words in a month. That's about the length of The Great Gatsby. One made it, and one didn't. I didn't either! But, it was a great experience. I was amazed by the difference in writing for quantity rather than quality.

I know that sounds like a bad thing, but you are truly able to think more creatively and not be paralyzed by trying to get everything 'just right'. My students were excited, challenged and enriched by the experience.

It also changes the way you read a book. Because you have dealt with unruly characters, questions and plot holes in your own novel, you notice and appreciate an author's skillful handling of his characters and story. You develop an insiders understanding of story structure that can't be easily learned any other way.

Locally there is a "Nano" group that meets weekly during November, and a few of us have continued to meet every 2 weeks, year round, for the last 2 years. Ours is not a homeschool group, our regulars have included only adults, myself and my daughter. It's been encouraging to meet together and write for a couple of hours, ask questions, talk about writing.

As a side benefit, by the way, it's a wonderful motivation to learn or improve at typing!

I have now finished the 50,000 word goal the last 2 years, and one of my daughters has exceeded the 50,000 word goal all 3 years she has participated. We both want to do this every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment