Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"It turned out a little different..."

June was the month that "turned out a little different" for us (from a line in an old Jerry Lewis movie). We had anticipated a few things, helping another consultant at a convention, one daughter graduating from her massage therapy program, another heading off on a missions trip.

Then came the surprises. There are always those! The dog had an unexpected surgery to remove a strange nodule, my parents visited from out of state, our son and his wife visited, also from out of state, the daughter leaving on the missions trip needed more shots than I expected, as well as requiring multiple Dr. appointments for a sudden infection. Oh, and another daughter got her learner's permit, we started Driver's Ed in a Box again.

The visits went well, we so enjoy time with our son and his wonderful wife. We were able to finish the last shot needed on the day of departure for our daughter, and she has medications with her if the infection should flare up again. The Driver's Ed, we've had 2 short lessons and it's going fine.

I can highly recommend Driver's Ed in a Box, by the way. It thoroughly explains some of those things that as an experienced driver, I know, but didn't think to explain to my learner. (To my older children who learned to drive without this program, I apologize!)

I love the focus on "Collision-free driving". That is after all, what I want. I want them to not only learn to handle a vehicle, the usual focus of driver's education programs, but also to observe conditions, anticipate other drivers, and avoid accidents. Check it out here.

I would have preferred it to be organized a little differently, so I did change the order that some skills were addressed. I also found that the order of presenting various driving conditions weren't practical for our surroundings. It had the student driving the interstate before back roads for example. I just had my student work on those in the order that I found to be best for our situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment